Distributed systems, peer-to-peer networks, semantic overlay networks.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, with honors. INRIA, Université Paris 6 (France). Thesis title: "Pandora: Support for Internet Scale Metrology Services". Advisors: Dr. Mesaac Makpangou and Prof. Bertil Folliot.
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, with honors (ranked 1st). École Normale Supérieure de Lyon, Université Lyon 1 (France). Major: parallel and distributed systems. Thesis title: "Pandora: a System for Collecting Web Traffic Traces of Distributed User Communities".
- B.S. in Computer Science, with honors. École Normale Supérieure de Lyon, Université Lyon 1 (France).
- Baccalauréat in Science, with honors.
- January 2006 – present
- Software Engineer, Flexeye Technology, Paris, France.
Design and development of a flexible business intelligence platform.
- Team collaboration
- Worked remotely with a team of 5 engineers. I am responsible of the back-end (server) of the platform and cooperate closely with the rest of the team (junior engineers and engineers responsible of the other parts of the platform).
- Platform development
- Leading the development effort for the server part of the platform (~100000 lines of Java code out of more than 300000 for the full platform).
- October 2003 – December 2005
- Postdoctoral researcher, University of Bologna, Italy
(Prof. Ozalp Babaoglu).
Design of a framework for prototyping J2EE replication algorithms.
- European project management
- Integrated in a large EU-funded project (ADAPT). I have coordinated one of the four work packages and led the Bologna effort in the project (cooperation with 6 international partners).
- API specification
- Specified an API to design J2EE replication algorithms. This API has been used by at least 3 independent groups to develop novel algorithms.
- Framework prototype
- Designed and implemented a framework that implements the replication API (~30000 lines of Java). The framework was integrated with the large legacy code-base of the JBoss application server, which could not be modified. The performance of the framework were assessed using the industry-grade ECperf benchmark.
- May – September 2003
- Software engineer, REGAL group, INRIA Rocquencourt, France.
Industrial transfer of the Pandora platform to W2G Technologies.
- Ported the core platform to run on a Win32 environment.
- Collaborated with W2G staff, written technical documentation and given tutorial talks.
- September 1999 – April 2003
- Graduate student researcher, REGAL group, INRIA Rocquencourt,
Design of the Pandora platform for supporting Internet scale monitoring services.
- Component Model
- Designed a light-weight component model suitable for system monitoring tasks and defined a language to specify component assemblies.
- Platform prototype
- Designed and implemented (sole developer) a prototype of the platform (~100000 lines of C++). Strong focus on flexibility (use of dynamic libraries, run-time reconfiguration) and performance (originally designed to perform on-line network traffic analysis).
Programming and Computing
- Operating systems:
- Unix (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris)
- Programming languages:
- C, C++, Java, Perl, shell
- Network protocols:
- TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP
- SQL language, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Office applications:
- LaTeX, Microsoft Office
- Software design:
- object-oriented architecture, components, distributed processes, thread programming, client/server architecture, peer-to-peer networks
- performance analysis, code optimization, regression tests
- Lead of the Bologna effort for the EU-funded ADAPT project.
- Active participation in the writing of 3 european project grant applications.
- Supervision of 2 Master students and 5 engineer interns.
Teaching and Presentation
- Teaching Operating Systems and Computer Science Fundamentals in university (Paris 6, Paris 11) and grandes écoles (École Polytechnique). 300 hours, 1999 -- 2003
- Talks in international conferences (Usenix 2000, DOA 2004, DBISP2P 2005) and EU project review meetings.
- French (mother tongue)
- Fluent English and Italian (written and spoken)
- Some knowledge of German
Available on-line on the following Web page: http://patarin.info/publi.html